When ever I eat candy, I end up feeling like crap. Its usually then I gaze to the packet and realise I have glutened myself with wheat glucose. I also thing the chemicals and extra sugar doesn’t do great things to my inflammation levels, so usually my candida flares up and I end up covered in eczema, and my complexion turns to crap.
So instead of buying candy, I have been experimenting with different flavours of gelatine gummies.
Why do I love these little lemon gummies so much:
A cheap collagen choco full of goodness for your complexion
Less sugar than store bought candy, which stops my inflammatory signals from going on high alert.
A cheap vitamin c supplement great for supporting immunity.
- 250ml steevia sweetened soft drink (I usually double this recipe)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 TBSP honey
- 1/4 cup gelatin
- Pour the lemon juice, soda and honey into a pan on low/medium heat.
Mix well until warm. You want to make sure it does not get to hot as it will kill the awesome probiotic properties of the raw honey!. Just warm enough to dissolve the gelatine.
- Add gelatin and whisk until dissolved. You will need to stir this until you no longer see gelatin crystals. This step is really important for the texture of your gummies.
- Pour contents of pan into a measuring jug so you can easily pour the mixture into your moulds
- Pour mixture into candy molds ( I used silicon ice cube trays).
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes or in the fridge for at least an hour to give the gelatine time to set.
Then all you need to do is flip them out of the molds, and store in a air tight container or sandwhich bag. These should keep for 4 days, or you could pop them in the freezer if you make a double batch. They don’t tend to last long at my house.
Just as a word of warning – don’t eat them all at once, they are choc full of vitamin c, and collagen from the gelatin so have the potential to give you “disaster pants” if you eat them all in one sitting.
What did you think? Did you try the recipe? Want more gummy recipes? Drop me a comment below and let me know